The County Surveyor's Office is responsible for the
restoration and perpetuation of the corner monuments of the Public Land
Survey System, and determining modern measurements between those
monuments. This "re-monumentation" data leads to accurate dimensioning
of sections, and from that, the preparation of accurate countywide
parcel mapping. The County Surveyor's Office also checks and approves
all subdivision plats, registered land surveys, and condominium plats
for compliance with Minnesota statutes, local ordinances, and the
County’s Platting Manual. The County Surveyor's Office also prepares
Right-Of-Way plats for County highway acquisition.
The re-monumentation of sections are done by GPS,
supplemented by older, traditional methods, where needed. The section
corners are perpetuated with regular maintenance of monuments and their
"ties" (bearing trees, etc.). As each monument gets GPS’d and placed on
the County Coordinate system, that too perpetuates each monument's
location. The County Surveyor's Office also offers expert consultation
to other offices and the public on legal description and survey matters;
provides consultation to Environmental Services on subdivision matters;
accumulates and perpetuates records of past and present surveys; and
continually works on an inventory of horizontal control monuments
and elevation bench marks.
Caption Thomas J. Lee erected a
hollow pyramid of cast iron monument in 1849
mark the beginning of the boundary on the West bank of the Mississippi
River between the Minnesota Territory and the State of Iowa
the 43° 30’ North Latitude. The monument he erected still stands today
and is known as Lee’s Monument. It is located on the northern edge of
the city of New Albin, Ia. and sits East of the Railroad tracks.
Andrew Talcott’s instructions in
April of 1852 were to begin his survey where the known Iowa survey ended
on the 43°30’ North Latitude, at a point identified as the corner of
Townships 99 and 100 North and Ranges 4 and 5 West of the Fifth
Principal Meridian which is the Initial Point for all surveys West of
the Mississippi River and North of this line.
Talcott and his crew also monumented each Section & ¼ Section corner
East to the Mississippi River and West to the Big Sioux River.
A replica of the 12” square White Oak Post
set in 1852 stands near this location today.
This site was dedicated September 11, 2010.
It is located 5mls. East of Eitzen on the
South side of C.S.A.H. 2.