Auditor Home


Agendas and Minutes

Houston County Board Recordings

Planning Commission Recordings

Donna Trehus
County Auditor/Treasurer
304 S. Marshall Street
Caledonia, MN  55921
p: (507) 725-5803
f: (507) 725-2647

Auditor Office

Services and Responsibilities

The Auditor acts as clerk for the Board of Commissioners. The Auditor also computes taxes according to the levies and spreads the same upon the tax rolls; figures interest and penalties on delinquent taxes; and after payment, apportions and disburses the proceeds to the various governmental subdivisions. The Auditor also serves as the Election Administrator for Houston County; duties include, but are not limited to: preparation of ballots, training of election judges, administration of absentee voting, canvassing the returns & state reporting. All transfers of real estate are entered upon the transfer records in this office and noted on the tax roll before recording. Motor vehicle, driver, game, fish and off road licenses are issued by the auditor.

Auctioneer Licenses

Application Resident Auctioneer

Application Out-of-State Auctioneer


License Center 

Services offered in Houston County License Center:

We very much appreciate your business and highly encourage residents to renew vehicle registrations at our local office. This adds revenue to the county and is made easy by utilizing one of the three methods below:

        ~ Coming to the License Center in the Historic Courthouse with your renewal notice
        ~ Mailing the renewal notice to:
            Houston County License Center
            304 South Marshall Street, Suite 114        
            Caledonia, MN 55921

        ~ Using the handy payment drop box located on the outside of the building at the main entrance
            (west side of the building).
We will mail the renewals back to you.

Be sure to bring along your vehicle insurance information, as this is required for all renewals.  You will need to know the Company Name (not insurance Agent), Policy Number and Expiration Date (Month, Day & Year).

Driver Exams

The Driver’s Exam Station is located at 304 South Marshall Street in Caledonia in Room B-11.  Staff are available on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Thursdays of the month.  You need to schedule a Road Test.  No appointment is needed for the written Driver’s Permit Test, which is offered at 10:00 a.m. on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Thursdays of each month.   If you are a new resident in the state of Minnesota, please bring your current State license, birth certificate, and marriage certificate-if there is a name change, or an unexpired passport.  The phone number for the Exam Station is  507-453-2935. They can be reached at this number on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Driver License Renewals, duplicates & ID Cards

The hours for Driver’s License, commercial driver’s license and photo ID cards are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  No photos are taken after 4 PM.  If you are renewing a commercial driver’s license you need to provide proof of citizenship, either a certified birth certificate or unexpired passport is accepted.  You will also need to know your social security number for the application form.

Motor Vehicle registration, renewals, title transfers, etc.

To register a vehicle or do a title transfer you need to bring in the current title and papers received at time of purchase, as well as the driver license for all owners.  If you purchase a vehicle, please bring the Title, MSO or Confirmation of Ownership, and if the vehicle is new, the window sticker, along with all paperwork from the dealership.  There will be no title work done after 4 PM. To transfer the title on a motorcycle the engine number off the block of the engine is required.  If you are sending someone else to get renewal tabs you need to send the renewal notice or a permission slip.

All-Terrain Vehicle, Boat & Snowmobile Registration

To register a purchased boat, ATV or snowmobile from a private party you need a detailed bill of sale with the following information:  year, make, model, serial number, and engine size.  Usually boats that are longer than 16 feet have a title which needs to be presented at our office.  A bill of sale or a registration card is needed to register a trailer, if it does not have a title.  If you are sending someone else to complete the registration for you they need a permission slip.  If you purchased a boat and trailer as a “package deal”, a value must be assigned to each.  A Bill of Sale is required to list a value for the boat and a value for the trailer.  There will be no title work done after 4 PM

Game & Fish Regulations

2016 Hunting & Trapping Regulations
2016 Fishing Regulations
2016 MN Waterfowl Hunting Regulation

License Center hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Home Employment Disclaimer Contact Us

© Copyright 2011-2019 - Houston County, Minnesota

Problems with the site?